Today is my wedding anniversary!! Woo hoo! As I look up we have navigated over 10 moves to multiple states, we have 3 kids including two high schoolers and a middle schooler and have survived countless roller coaster rides in life. Through it all the love remains and I couldn’t imagine doing life with anyone else but Nate. Here are 10 marriage tips I’d love to share with you that I hope helps in your relationship. Although I am not a therapist, 19 years has to mean something right? Enjoy!
1. A spiritual connection is a must. The foundation has to be there. How else will you get through the hard times? Trust me, they will come. Pray!
2. Improve your communication skills. Listen first. Validate second. Try to find a solution third. Remove your emotion. Trust me, it often gets in the way of resolution.
3. Date each other even when you get married. Date night is a must once a week in our home. So much happens in a week. Taking time once a week to catch up, look nice for your spouse, and connect intimately really does make a difference.
4. Forgive each other over and over again. Give each other grace and practice patience.
5. Find common interests that you both enjoy! It’s so freakin fun!!! Trust me! You’re welcome! 😉
6. Look for the best in each other. We all have flaws. See the good and say the good!
7. Show respect for each other even in the hard times. Times will get hard, but respect is a non-negotiable.
8. Work on yourself. Continue becoming your best self. It is not your spouse’s job to make you happy. If you better yourself, you better your marriage.
9. Find a therapist to help navigate your relationship. Do not talk to family and friends. A neutral third party that does not know either one of you and is licensed is an absolute must.
10. Never stop! Never stop loving on one another, complimenting one another, praying for one another, dating one another, and believing the best in one another. Even when it’s hard, never stop.
Happy anniversary to my best friend, my cuddle partner, and my boo Nate Burleson! I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.